Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Monday, November 24, 2008
since we had driven all around the old part of town, we (meaning me, hubby drives i navigate), decided to try to find our way back to the motel a different route. we probably couldnt come back the way we came if we tried anyways. we had found the house by following those handy little brown signs directing you to state parks or historical points of interest. well, i think they
the tree in front is a little cherry tree that actually had fruit on it. i spent a lot of time by it on my smoke breaks. we both smoke, but not inside so we get non-smoking rooms and suffer the weather.
next morning is monday, my birthday! :) and also checkout day :( but we are heading up to mammoth cave to go on a short little tour before heading back home so i dont get too bummed about checking out. hubby wanted to be back home before it was dark. he really isnt much of a traveler and would rather be @ home playing in his shop than exploring, but he loves me so he lets me drag him around every now and then.
we got to the cave a little early so i hit the souvenir store and bought a bunch of little things for mementos. then we were off on a short little trip to the frozen niagra formation. as we were listening to the tour guide before we left, i realized
we i had picked the wrong tour. hubby wanted short so we wouldnt be here too late, but i had forgotten that i noticed that some tours had age limits, which meant no little rug rats running around. sorry moms, i'm a grandma myself, but i'm not too fond of unruly brats on tours w/us. raise them w/some manners and i wont try to avoid the little heathens :) this tour was not one of those child free tours. so now we had to use some strategy. we got on the bus right behind the driver cuz we heard one of the demons bleacher creatures hollering about riding in the back. then when we got ready to go thru the cave we positioned ourselves right behind the tour guide. (lost river tour we never got to hear the guide due to poor positioning strategy and jabbering little monsters rug rats) we learn fast. we had a much better tour experience this time. we saw the frozen niagra formation:
Thursday, November 20, 2008
YEAHHH!!! we have finally firmed up plans and me, mom, aunt, & cousin are all going to see Twilight tomorrow afternoon! woohooo!!! can ya tell i'm a little excited?? if you like to read fiction, you HAVE to read this series by stephanie meyers. (it is about vampires and such so if you dont like that stuff, it might not be your cup of tea). BUT it is a totally different viewpoint of vampires and werewolves and such. and although it is a young adult book, it is very well written and will keep you
i feel like a little kid with a big exciting day tomorrow :) i dont like to go out to the movies much. well to be honest cuz i'm a tight wad and more comfortable watching at home where i have a pause and rewind button for when i miss something. also, the theater in my po-dunk town is naaaasty. we are going to go 45 min away just to go to a new theater instead of ours in town cuz it's so gross. it even has holes in the screen. i mean come on, its a movie theater. how can you have screens with holes in them??
well this was just gonna be a short "haha look what i get to do tomorrow while the rest of the world slaves away" post, but i kinda got a little worked up thinkin bout the local theater,
oh, and i have some great plans for a visit from FWM if i can talk her into coming here ;) ...i wonder if she's seen Deliverance or Wrong Turn ...muhahahaha
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
maybe is was the coconut pie (just one slice), or the german chocolate cookie (just one i swear!), or it could have been the oatmeal creme pie (the small size), or possibly the egg nog (virgin-the eggnog, that is). i dont know, but i should have known wednesday was not looking good for me.
i took the grandkid to the library. they didnt have the next book in one series i'm reading. i'm 4th on the list for janet evanovich's fearless fourteen. they don't have stephanie meyer's the host (which my mother has but never seems to remember to give to me)
i got home from babysitting, stirred and tasted my chili that i was cooking for darts tonight. blah! it was so not like my normal good chili. so i worked on that in between showering and dressing for darts. then i remembered that a fellow darter and my step-son were expected at the house soon. i thought maybe i should actually do the dressing part before the cooking so i wouldn't blind anybody that showed up early (don't they always when you dont want them to??)
and then the night ended with a thorough trouncing in darts. against a team we beat earlier in the season. it was not fun. well, that's a lie. it was fun, but winning is much more fun :)
at least we were good hosts. i brought the "souped up" chili and everybody liked it. some ppl even had 3-4 bowls of it! guess instead of all of this whining i should just be happy that my chili was a success.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Where is your cell phone? here
Where is your significant other? work
Your hair color? blondish
Your mother? loving
Your father? dead
Your favorite thing? reading
Your dream last night? wierd
Your dream/goal? happiness
The room you’re in? living
Your hobby? scrapbooking
Your fear? cockroaches
Where do you want to be in 6 years? painless
Where were you last night? home
What you’re not? liar
One of your wish-list items? cd Player -ok so i cheated thats 2 words but heck i dont want a cd and if i just put player who knows what yall would think :)
Where you grew up? sarasota
Last thing you did? this
What are you wearing? pajamas
Your TV? off
Your pet? outside
Your computer? ok
Your mood? awake
Missing someone? megan
Your car? minivan
Something you’re not wearing? bra
Favorite store? book
Your summer? fun!
Love someone? yep
Your favorite color? fuscia
When is the last time you laughed? yesterday
Last time you cried? yesterday ( no hubby didn't beat on me, i finished a stupid book & the main character died. lol i am turning into the person that cries at tv, books, just about anything lately)
Saturday, November 15, 2008
with the whole plurisy thing happening we didnt actually get to start out until saturday morning. we had to make a detour before we started on the "official" trip. our friend and fellow cruiser had passed away a couple of months ago, and his wife was having a yard sale of all of his shop tools, car parts, and asst. junk that men like to collect in their shops. well ole jim had 3 shops. needless to say by the time we stopped buying we had spent 300 bucks and the back of the mini van was packed full of clangy, rattling, metal parts.
we checked in sat. afternoon and just kindof chilled and went to eat dinner. sunday we headed out for our first adventure to The Lost River Cave & Valley. It's about a 15 min. walk thru the woods and by some gorgeous blue holes:
the blue color comes from limestone particles in the water reflecting from the sunlight. after a short walk we come to the entrance of the cave. There are signs posted telling that jesse james hid out in the cave in 1868 and also both sides of the civil war used the area as encampments. In the 1930's there was an "underground nite club" and they held balls and weddings in the wide covered entrance area.
so now we actually get to get into a flat bottom boat that has seats down each side. there is a metal railing down the middle of the boat that we all have to lean down and duck our heads to avoid a concussion (woohoo potential danger...gotta get a pic of this!)
that was a pretty cool little trip. we got to see some cave crickets, well barely. it was a very short little boat trip and very dim around the few lights they had placed. this river is still undergoing major efforts to clean and repair damage from ignorant ppl who thought "hey, here is a sink hole. lets dump all our trash in it, and it will magically disappear!" morons. all that garbage eventually ends up in the underground streams and rivers that we drink from because of the karst topography.
now we are back out of the boat and i want to walk the trails that they have around there. it really is a gorgeous little bit of woods in the middle of a city. we walk by old powder houses and head for the butterfly habitat.
hubby: it's fall, i think it's too cold for butterflies..
me: what? oh, i know it's fall but maybe they have a nice little heated home for the butterflies
hubby: (looks at me to see if i look like i am gonna give up on this little side trip) ok, lets go
me: reading the signs about double checking yourself in the mirror to see if you have any hitchhiker butterflies on you, invisioning walking thru a garden with hundreds of butterflies, typical daydreaming thoughts as i am waiting to enter the habitat.
this is what i find:
the only butterfly in the place...
...notice the determined photographer (me) goes so far as to stage the DEAD butterfly by one of the only blooms left in the habitat.
me: i wanted pics of butterflies! i dont care if it's dead. you wont be able to tell in the pic unless you look real close. now, go look for more dead ones. maybe we can get a whole
that's all for now, folks. i will continue our adventure in the next installment unless there are too many pleas for mercy : ) hey i just realized something. this is like home movies for the masses. hahaha. now i dont have to clean the house and lure you to the living room where the projector is all set up. of course i wont know if you decide to leave during the middle of the show this way either...hmmm...nope still better this way. anything that means i dont have to clean 4 company wins in my book.
Friday, November 14, 2008
1. i am like a raccoon, i am easily distracted by bright shiny things. i sit down at my dashboard trying to decide what to write, and then i see some new post from somebody that i am following. what do i do? i go off and read blogs for like an hour (or till my hind-end starts to fall asleep) so by then i'm tired of blogs.
2. i need to post about my anniversary excursion to bowling green, ky BUT that means i have to go thru my pics and crop, adjust, etc. and i am feeling too
3. (this is a really good excuse, but only for the last few days) my aunt (mom's identical twin sis)has been in the hospital since tuesday so i have been either there or watching my grandson all week and i'm tired! and finally...
4. probably the biggest reason is that i keep reading all of these great, funny, witty, smart blogs and i am having blog anxiety(not envy..well maybe a little envy) that there is no way i could write something as smart or as funny.
so is that enough to convince yall that it really isnt my fault that i am not writing more? actually now that i think about it ... it is all of yall's fault that i am not. so stop being so funny...please?
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
In the context of web logs / 'blogs / blogging and other kinds of personal web sites it's some kind of list of questions that you saw somewhere else and you decided to answer the questions. Then someone else sees them and does them and so on and so on. I generally consider these to be actual questions and not some multiple choice quizzes that determine some result at the end (what color you are most like, what cartoon character are you, what 80s movie are you).
sounds impressive but i think its just a fancy word for another kind of survey. so here it is, My 7 ways of weirdness:
1. i hate mornings! always have, always will. nothing will change that fact. even the Army couldnt drum that out of me, and let me tell you, they are very good at changing ppl. just not as good as me and my own internal clock that screams SLEEEPP at least until 10 or 11 or so :)
2. i, like weaselMomma, am a very cheap wife to keep around. i like to save money **gasp**, i hate shopping 4 clothes and pretty much shopping in general, unless i have a lot of spare money (haha), and i am shopping for someone else.
3. my husband now has the final say on all matters pertaining to fashion. he saved me from looking like the ugly duckling at his son's wedding, so i now bow to his wisdom.
4. also like wM, my feet are cold all of the time, but i CANT wear socks to keep them warm. i only wear socks when i have shoes on, otherwise they make me smother. dont ask. just believe. i breathe thru my feet, ok??
5. i dont eat vegetables. at all. well, 'cept for fried okra. i just discovered that one last year. its the first cooked green vege i have ate voluntarily since childhood. (dont force ur kids to eat stuff, it really messes with their heads for a long time!)
6. i am extremely competative. i can turn anything into a contest. i even liked taking tests in school just so i could see how much better i did (hopefully) than everybody else. i had a really good idea for the microbiologist's contamination fairy contest, but unfortunately i cannot put my vision down on paper near as well as i can see it.
7. you cant tell by my pics, but i actually hate to eat. i would be thrilled to death if i could get one of those tubes in my stomach so i could just squeeze all the healthy stuff that my body needs straight in there. do not pass mouth, do not collect any fat, calories, or cholesterol. just think how nice it would be to never have to this conversation ever again:
"what do you want for dinner tonight, darling?"
"i dont know, what do you want?"
"i dont care, whatever you want to get." (meaning i'm not hungry, dont want to cook, and dont want to feel guilty for not wanting to cook you something for dinner, lol)
"you decide, youre the picky eater."
ugh! i really hate going thru that everytime we decide to go out to eat somewhere.